This is an Eastern Chinese recipe
2 lb whole fish (carp, porgy, mullet, or mackerel), cleaned and scaled
¼ cup soy sauce
3 tbsps oil
½ cup dried wood ears, soaked for 20 minutes, drained
½ cup sliced canned bamboo shoots
3-4 scallions, shredded
3 slices ginger root, shredded
2 tsps cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tbsp water
2 tbsps soy sauce
2 tbsps dry sherry
2 tsp sugar
¼ cup stock
1. Marinate the fish in the soy sauce for 30 minutes. Mix together the sauce ingredients.
2. Heat the oil in a pan. When it is very hot, add the fish pieces and fry until golden.
3. Add the sauce, wood ears and bamboo shoots and continue cooking for about 10 minutes.
4. Add the scallions and ginger and cook until the sauce is reduced by half.
5. Add the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until thickened.
6. Transfer to a serving dish. Pour over the sauce and serve hot.