This is an Eastern Chinese recipe
1 x 2 ½ lb spring chicken
2-3 scallions, finely chopped
2-3 slices ginger root, finely chopped
2 tbsps dry sherry
1 tbsp sugar
3 tbsps soy sauce
3 tbsps cornstarch
½ cup lard
1 tsp sesame oil
Chopped parsley to garnish
1. Cut the legs, wings and breasts from the chicken, then cut each breast in half.
2. Mix the scallions and ginger with 1 tbsp of the sherry, 1 tsp of the sugar and 1 tbsp of the soy sauce. Add the chicken and leave to marinate for 3 minutes.
3. Coat each piece of chicken with cornstarch. Heat the lard in a pan. Add the chicken pieces and fry until golden.
4. Pour off the excess lard and add the remaining sherry, sugar and soy sauce to the pan. Bring to the boil, stirring.
5. Add the sesame seed oil just before serving, garnished with parsley.