Chinese Recipe - Hunan Shrimp
- 3-4 c. peanut oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. shrimp, shelled, deveined, tails on, washed, dried, and refrigerated for at least 4 hrs.
- 1/2 c. onions, diced into 1/4" pieces
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Sauce, recipe below
- Pour peanut oil into a wok, and heat to 375°F.
- Oil blanch the shrimp for 45-60 secs., until shrimp begin to turn pink, and curl. Remove, and set aside.
- Remove oil from wok, then replace 2 tbsp. oil. Heat oil until white smoke appears.
- Add onions, ginger, and garlic, and stir fry until onions soften, about 2 mins.
- Add shrimp, and toss together thoroughly.
- Stir sauce, and pour into the wok. Stir together until shrimp are well coated.
- Add sesame oil, turn off heat, and stir well. Remove from wok, and serve immediately.
- 1 1/2 tbsp. oyster sauce
- 3 tsp. sugar
- 4 tbsp. ketchup
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- pinch of white pepper
- 2 tsp. Hunan pepper; the soaked pepper flakes at the bottom of the hot oil OR substitute 2 tsp. chili paste, sambal ooleck, or 1 heaping tsp. crushed red pepper flakes plus 1 tsp. red chili oil
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- Combine in a bowl, and mix well. When ready to serve pour over shrimp, and mix well. Serve.
Submitted by : Cindy