10 oz. squid
2 2/3 oz. cloud ears
4 tbsps soy sauce
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp sesame oil
Dash of MSG
½ ground Chinese pepper
2 tsps hot pepper oil
1. Wash the squid under cold water and peel the skin. Score 2/3 of the way through on the inside surface with 1/16 inch intervals, cutting off completely at every 3 inch. At right angle to these, make incision ½ of the way through, using knife almost horizontally. Then scrape off, at the second cut, into 1/8 inch wide pieces.
2. Immerse the cloud ears in lukewarm water to soften. Remove the sandy stems. Parboil, drain and place on a platter.
3. Combine the seasonings A in a bowl.
4. Bring water to a boil, drop in the squid and cook (Do not overcook, as it gets tough). Drop the squid into cold water and let cool. Dry with a cloth.
5. Pile the squid pieces on top of cloud ears, flowering sides up. Garnish with parsley. Pour the sauce mixed in step 3 over the squid and serve.