Chinese Food Recipes and Cooking
Chinese food need never be a once-a-week-restaurant treat again!
Free mouth watering Chinese recipes, easy to follow & cook, Chinese cooking is simply rewarding!

Home
Chinese Recipes
Chinese Salad
Tasty Soup
Fluffy Rice
Squids & Crabs


Noodles Delight
Chicken Recipes
Succulent Pork
Beef Recipe
Fresh Fish
Lamb & Mutton
Seafood Platter
Crunchy Vegetables
Nutritious Tofu
Assorted Dim Sum
Delicious Eggs
Shrimps & Prawns

Soothing Chinese Tea
Sauces & Seasoning
Chinese Desserts
Snacks & Appetizers
Cooking Methods
Chinese Kitchen


Glossary of Ingredients
Glossary of Cooking Terms
Kitchen Guide & Tips
Measurement Conversion
Food Articles & Fun Stuff
Learn to Speak Chinese
Chinese Restaurants
International Recipes
Asian Recipes
Chinese Cook Book
Chinese Cooking Videos
   
 
 
 

Hard Bone Facts - Functions By: Lydia jensen


SkeletonCalcium is the most abundant mineral in the human body. Of the body's total calcium, about 99 percent is in the bones and teeth where it plays a structural role. The remaining 1 percent is present in body tissues and fluids where it is essential for cell metabolism, muscle contraction and nerve impulse transmission.

The structural function of calcium is vital to the skeleton. There is a continuous movement of calcium between the skeleton, the blood and other parts of the body. This movement is controlled by hormones.

Calcium also plays a role in cell biology, as it affects the proteins in the body which in turn affect nerve impulse transmission and muscle contraction. Calcium is also needed for blood clotting.

Vitamin D is necessary to promote absorption of dietary calcium. Calcium deficiency may be linked with rickets in children and osteomalacia (soft bones) which may also be caused by repeated pregnancies with lengthy breast feeding.

Osteoporosis can be due to calcium deficiency in that there is a loss of calcium from the bones and a reduction in bone density.

Bones become brittle and are liable to fracture. This occurs with age in all individuals, usually after 35-40 years of age and involves the shrinking of the skeleton. Bone loss tends to be greatest in women following menopause when there is a reduced level of the hormone estrogen. Postmenopausal women are, therefore, particularly at risk. Some research has indicated that vegetarian women are at less risk of osteoporosis than omnivorous women, due to animal protein increasing calcium loss from bones; however, other research has refuted this indication. Other factors than diet affect osteoporosis, namely lack of exercise, being underweight, smoking, and consumption of alcohol can all increase the risk.

Low level of calcium in the blood and tissues can further affect the muscles. This condition is called hypocalcaemia. It brings about the sensation of tingling, numbness and muscle twitching, sometimes resulting in sever muscle spasms, however, this latter condition can be due to a hormonal imbalance in the regulation of calcium rather than dietary deficiency.

Not only can the body have calcium deficiencies, but it can have an excess of calcium in the blood, resulting in nausea, vomiting and calcium deposits in the heart and kidneys. This may result from an excess of vitamin D.

U.S. Consumer Healthcare, Research and Development

Article by: www.eclecticcooking.com . Do you know how to cook a juicy salmon? How to avoid crying when cutting onions? How to prevent avocados from turning black?  Visit The Eclectic Cooking Ezine, portal to cooking and nutrition featuring freelance writers, doctors, and authors. Free weekly newsletter subscription: update@eclecticcooking.com


 
   

Custom Search
Bookmark and Share
Today's Tip/Quote
NEW ARTICLES
 
 
cheap China products on DHgate.com
Cheap China products on DHgate.com  
 
 

Home :: Links Exchange :: Contact Us :: Privacy Policy :: Terms of Use :: Sitemap
Asian Recipes

Copyright © 2016 Chinese Food Recipes.com. All Rights Reserved. Your ultimate Chinese food and Asian food recipes site.
Last Modified: 11/28/11.